Friday, April 27, 2007

update on Sanghera's SCJP Exam for J2SE 5

I've started rereading the book, and I definitely don't recommend it for preparing for the SCJP exam for J2SE 5.

There are so many errors! Significant errors, like what exception FileReader and FileWriter throw from their read/write methods - there's a table aggregating the I/O exceptions for various Stream classes and their read/write methods, and it's wrong. Kind of annoying. Keeps me sharp, I supposed, but the Sun book has to be better.

Also, the lack of formatting of code snippets is really annoying; it's hard to read.

I'll post a list of the errata later.

For now:
p.209
* "public FileReader(...) throws IOException"
should be "throws FileNotFoundException"

p.210
* "public FileWriter(...) throws IOException"
should be "throws FileNotFoundException"

p.214
* Table 8-6 FileReader, FileWriter exception thrown by Read/Write Methods should be IOException.

p.214
* It alternatively refers to "a string and two objects are written to the stream" and "the String and the Date Objects that were written to the file," when the first code snippet writes two Strings and one Object.

* bottom code snippet "(MyClassSerial)" should be "(MySerialClass)" on the 4th and 5th lines.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even the cathy seira, book contains somes errors.

7:40 AM  
Blogger kuri* said...

I don't think any book lacks errors, but there's really a high percentage of errors that some more proofreading would have caught in Sanghera's book. Of course, I mis-spelled his name in the title of this post, which shows how much I proofread! Still, I wouldn't recommend this book when there are better ones for about the same price.

7:46 AM  
Blogger kuri* said...

ps. You mean Kathy Sierra, right?

7:50 AM  
Blogger kuri* said...

Personally, I regret buying the Sanghera book; the Sierra Bates book (which I'm reading now) would have been a much better starting point. I should have done more research before making my purchase.

Still, some sections of the Sanghera book were very helpful; it really solidified my understanding of certain aspects of Java.

However, I would recommend that people start with the Sierra Bates book or some of the other books available, and then use the Sanghera book to cross-check their comprehension.

5:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home